Sunday, January 03, 2010

Telangana

I don't proclaim to understand all the issues in the struggle for the new state. I am merely reading up news and hearing some interviews on TV and that doesn't come close to being an expert on the knowledge.
This however doesn't stop me from having an opinion. I am firmly against the new state of Telangana and here's the reason. Hyderabad is going to suffer in the new state. It's development will be arrested. and it will be sometime before it can recover to its momentum. This couldn't have come at a worse time for the city. The city is currently peaking and was destined to become one of the key centers for IT along with other industries for the country. This is a source of tremendous pride for many people including me.

I completely understand that this is a very narrow view of things. There is life beyond Hyderabad and the troubles there need to be addressed. However, I am still firmly of the opinion that the only way to be relevant in the new world is to have a united Andhra Pradesh with all Telugu speaking people under the same umbrella. The problems in the Telangana region can be addressed by giving some autonomy to the region and helping the hard-hit people of the region directly.

On another note, I am not completely averse to the new state either. The problems faced by people in this region and real and they have been left behind in the state deserve a voice. However, I don't the politicians of the land are going to be interested in hearing those voices once there is new state and they get their political mileage.

Again, this is one man's opinion on an issue which is going to shape the future for millions. the violence that has taken place so far is regrettable and hope there will be none in days to come until the issue is resolved.

No comments: