Sunday, January 10, 2010

Shopping in Abids

Had a fun quick trip to Abids second hand book sale. To those not familiar, this is where vendors setup stall with loads of second hand books. This runs a good 2-3 streets in the busiest corner of Abids right before the regular shops that are closed for Sunday.
I am not really an avid reader of books. But "window shopping" books will be categorized as a strength when all is said and done about yours truly. Looking at various kinds of books gives a window into the interests that the world as a general has. While this is true in general, the second hand book sale has a special charm that brings forth this. A book about antique coffee tables is likely to found right next to "Giselle turns up the heat" Vogue India whose adjacent pile of books might contain EAMCET preparation guides.
The effect of seeing this stuff all at one place is a humbling experience of how little I know and how much I am trapped in my own world. I mean, who really cares about NBTI in chips when Giselle is doing her thang :P.
I did happen to buy Wings of Fire by A.P.J. Abdul Kalam (for Rs 75/- ;cover price Rs 250/-), the former president of India. This is book that I mean t to read for a long while and I am glad that I finally got a chance to purchase it. Should be a good company to read in the week long trip to Shiridi and Mumbai that my family is embarking upon tomorrow.
Tweet: second hand book shopping on the streets of Abids .. right of passage for a Hyderabadi :)

No comments: